[Mailman-Users] Thank you! And a suggestion/feature request?

Perry M Lynch perrylynch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 21:16:54 CET 2008

I want to thank you for pointing us in the right direction, and also for taking the time to answer my plea for help.

To answer your questions:
1. No, I don't have proof positive that a buffer overrun was the cause of my troubles, but it seems to fit the situation too well to not be. What I didn't realize when I originally posted my call for help is that it also had a fairly large image attached as well. Between the formatting, the file, and the CC's I'm relatively sure that it was sufficient to force the overrun. I will ask the admin for the logs, and forward them on to you privately, if that's OK. If we've uncovered a bug, I definitely want to help improve things!

2. I'm not aware of any custom config-work in this implementation. It's a standard mailman running on BSD, with just a few lists - the other lists were untouched by this, fortunately! It may have been the admin's attempt to 'dumb it down' for me that makes this confusing after the fact.

Your suggestion to review the postfix settings got me looking in the right place. Long and short of it: I was able to use postfixadmin to delete and the re-create the aliases in postfix, at which point, everything started running as normal.

Now for the suggestion/feature request(s):
1 - would it be possible to add a "show all list members" view, and sort them by their status in each column? Actually, just being able to sort any given letter by their various status settings would be tremendous - all no mails, all no duplicates, etc in a row.

2 - What would be an incredibly powerful tool to the non-technical list admin would be the ability to download a text file of listmembers and their status settings. just a simple txt file, showing name, email address, and their basic digest/no mail/ moderated/plain text settings would be a wonderful thing. I'd be thrilled if just the name and email address would be available this way!

Thanks,
Perry
-----
Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA