[Mailman-Users] Some detail questions about migrating lists

Frank Griffin ftg at roadrunner.com
Mon Mar 17 17:17:51 CET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> I'm confused... above you say that they don't allow relaying from
> outside their network 'no matter what'... then you say you need their
> relay service while outside their IP block...

The ISP and the third-party relayer are two different companies.  I need
the relay service because the ISP won't relay from outside their own
block.  The relayer doesn't have an IP block; you sign up, get an ID,
pay, and do basic auth SMTP from anywhere.

> You appear to be saying that it is when sending from outside their IP
> block that they do this relay filtering based on an easily forged 'From:
> header.

No, they use basic auth.

> Any ISP that doesn't allow the use of TLS for sending while outside
> their networks is not to be trusted, so my original comment stands - I'd
> get another ISP if possible.

Unfortunately, in the US, if you want cable (as opposed to satellite or
DSL), you are at the mercy of whichever cable ISP owns the fiber to your
house.