[Mailman-Users] Full personalization and HTML problems

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 17 18:31:50 CET 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>I am being told by some subscribers that the HTML emails they receive
>via a list run by Mailman contain attachments, although the original
>emails have none.
>
>In message body they only have their email address and attached they
>have a file called ATT00351.htm and two inline images which were part
>of the email. So if they want to see the content, they need to open
>the html attachment.

Something is adding a mime part to the front of the message. This could
be a Mailman msg_header (if msg_header is 'empty', make sure it is
really empty and not just 'blank'), or it could be something (like a
disclaimer) added by any MTA/MDA the message passed through on the way
to the recipient.

>I have now switched to no personalization at all but I am not sure
>this will be enough. As for other settings, I do not have anything
>added by Mailmain in footers. Scrub attachments of regular delivery
>message? is set to No.

Personalization is not doing it unless it is triggering something
outside of Mailman which is unlikely.

msg_header it the only Mailman setting which will do this in Mailman.

>What can I do to make sure, the email is presented as is without being
>put into attachments? They claim to be using Outlook. As a matter of
>fact I also use Outlook at work and do not have such a problem. Thank
>you!

Make sure that msg_header and msg_footer are empty. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.039.htp>.