[Mailman-Users] Mailman discarding messages

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 25 17:26:04 CET 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot

>Is there anything else I can check? I am about to delete the members
>as this was time-limited subscription but we wanted to send a final
>thank you message to them and frustrating as it is, we can't do that.

You can edit Mailman/Queue/IncomingRunner.py as follows:

Find the code in the do_pipeline() method that says

            except Errors.DiscardMessage:
                # Throw the message away; we need do nothing else with
it.
                syslog('vette', 'Message discarded, msgid: %s',
                       msg.get('message-id', 'n/a'))
                return 0

and change it to

            except Errors.DiscardMessage:
                # Throw the message away; we need do nothing else with
it.
                syslog('vette', 'Message discarded by %s, msgid: %s',
                       handler, msg.get('message-id', 'n/a'))
                return 0

and then restart Mailman.

This will add the name of the handler to the vette log message. Then,
at least we know what to look at.

The attached patch.txt is an actual patch for the above change.