[Mailman-Users] Mail/News duplicates problem

NFN Smith worldoff9908 at sacbeemail.com
Thu May 1 19:22:49 CEST 2008

I'm not sure if this is a problem with Mailman or INN, but I'll start
on the Mailman side.  If it's an INN problem, I'll be happy to
redirect my question to the appropriate forum.

I'm in the process of adding a news/mail gateway to a server that's
running Mailman 2.1.9-7 on a Debian 4.0 box.  I'm adding INN 2.4.3-1 .
Both Mailman and INN are installed from the Debian Stable channel.

Where I'm having problems is with messages posted from the news side
-- they're gated into Mailman, and distributed correctly to mailing
list subscribers, but then a copy of the message goes back through to
the INN server, and INN isn't recognizing the message as having been
seen, and the result is that the news side of thing sees a duplicate
copy of the message.

On further inspection, the duplicate message has clearly been
submitted to news by Mailman, and includes lots of Mailman-specific
headers.  In particular, the Message-ID: header is rewritten by
Mailman, and I'm assuming that INN relies on Message-ID: to track what
has been seen or not.

This is happening with nearly all the mailing lists configured to be
gated to news on this server, with the exception of one list, where
I'm not getting dupes.  This implies that the difficulty is specific
to the configuration of individual lists, but I can't see any
difference in configurations on either Mailman or INN between the
list/newsgroups that are getting duplicates, and the one that isn't.

It looks like I'm missing something small, but I'm not seeing it.

Any clue as to where I should start looking?

Composed by sacbeemail.