[Mailman-Users] Default URL Host Issue

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 6 04:38:51 CEST 2008

Bill Honneus wrote:

>I am having two problems with my Mailman web server.
>
>First, I seem to be having a problem with setting my DEFAULT_URL_HOST.
>When I first configured my mm_cfg.py, I had both my DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST
>and my DEFAULT_URL_HOST set to my.domain.com.  But I needed to change
>the URL to my-hostname.domain.com because I had a conflict with the
>my.domain.com redirecting me to another web server in our topology.  So
>I made the change to my mm_cfg.py file as appears below and I re-ran the
>controller "bin/mailmanctl restart".  However, when I navigate to the
>http://my-hostname.domain.com/mailman/admin, I get a page not found.

That has to be addressed in the web server configuration by putting the
mailman ScriptAlias (assuming apache) in a place where it applies
globally or to the my-hostname.domain.com domain.

>The second problem is if I replace the url manually in the browser with
>the host IP, so I have http://111.111.111.111/mailman/admin, then I can
>get the admin page to come up, but then some of the links in the child
>pages end up navigating to http://my.domain.com/mailman/..../, instead
>of the host IP URL.

The links will point to the host name that's configured in the hidden
web_page_url attribute that was configured for the list when you
created it.

>The relevant section in my mm_cfg.py file is below:

># Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
>
>IMAGE_LOGOS = '/images/'
>MTA='Postfix'
>POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/sbin/mailman.aliases'
>POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = []
>DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = my.domain.com'

You're missing the initial quote above. I assume that's a typo, or
nothing would work.

>DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'my-hostname.domain.com'
>VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
>add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

You need to fix your web server config so 'my-hostname.domain.com'
works.

Then you need to run

  bin/withlist -r fix_url -a

which will set the host_name and web_page_url attributes of each list
to my.domain.com and http://my-hostname.domain.com/mailman/
respectively.

Then you probably want to add

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

(or No) to mm_cfg.py so that all your new lists will be created in the
default domains.