[Mailman-Users] clarification on virtual domains

bijayant kumar bijayant4u at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 06:20:08 CEST 2008

--- Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> bijayant kumar wrote:
> >
> >--- Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Are you sure it isn't the other way around? When
> you
> >> have
> >>
> >> add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom1.com')
> >> add_virtualhost('lists.bijayant.com', 'dom2.com')
> >>
> >> The second entry effectively replaces the first
> >> because what they do is
> >> add entries to a Python dictionary (a hash
> table).
> >> The first argument
> >> is the key and the second is the value. So the
> first
> >> above makes an
> >> entry with key 'lists.bijayant.com' and value
> >> 'dom1.com' and the
> >> second replaces the value for key
> >> 'lists.bijayant.com' with 'dom2.com'
> >
> >I am not sure about this functionality of python,
> but
> >what you are saying seems to right. After this
> >explanation, it is little bit clear to me now why
> the
> >second domain is taking the previous value. But i
> dont
> >have any other option because i have to use only
> one
> >url i.e 'lists.bijayant.com'. So all the lists
> created
> >have to take the same url 'lists.bijayant.com'.
>

> In that case, every list you create from the web
> will have the same
> value for host_name and the data/virtual-mailman
> entries will have
> that domain. If it is wrong, you will need to change
> it via the web
> and then run bin/genaliases to rebuild
> data/virtual-mailman.
>
> Otherwise, you can create lists with bin/newlist and
> specify the
> host_name with the -e/--emailhost option.
>
> But, if all lists have the same web domain why do
> you want them to have
> different email domains? The listnames have to be
> unique anyway, so
> why not just have them all in your primary email
> domain and not bother
> with additional domains?

Your suggestion is very good, but i cant have same
email domain for every list. I dont have choice
because our clients want lists in their respective
email domain only :).

So i have to follow the command line options for
creating the lists, it is working great without any
problem.

Thanks for your tremendous support to sort out my
problem.

> --
> Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is
> for gamblers,
> San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use
> your sense - B. Dylan

Bijayant Kumar