[Mailman-Users] Major problems with privacy and mailman lists and harvesters

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Sat May 24 12:04:50 CEST 2008

Michael Welch wrote:

[Regarding obscuring email addresses in archives]

>I think the Topica listserver had a great way to deal with email
addresses in archives. You could see a >semblance of the email address,
but no way could you deduce the real address. If you are logged into the
site, >each is still obscured, but is a live link that opens up an
email-like dialog box -- with the real address >still obscured. But it
does send an email to the real address for the obscured address.

The problem I can see with that is it may not work well on a public
archive, and if we wanted a private archive, we would need to protect
the users from spammers signing into the system, and sending a whole
bunch of emails, possibly through the server running the archives!

Andrew.