[Mailman-Users] slightly OT: on not becoming a spam source

David Newman dnewman at networktest.com
Sat May 31 00:35:45 CEST 2008

On 5/30/08 3:28 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> Yeah, somebody actually said that, but they really meant the
>> Return-Path.  Changing Message-ID on regular posts would violate RFC
>> 2822.  Message-ID ids the content, not the medium, and is an author
>> header: intermediate senders like Mailman must not touch it.
>
> IIRC, when you enable Full Personalization, enough changes are made to
> the message that it ends up being considered a completely new message,
> and therefore a new message-id is created.  Same for list anonymization.

That didn't happen, at least with my setup. grep'ing on the Message-ID
provided by AOL still returned the email addresses of all list subscribers.

> Certainly, when you turn on personalization, you can enable certain
> values to be used in the footer of each message being sent out that will
> tell you the original e-mail address that it was addressed to, and if
> the redacting covers only the headers and not the footer, then you might
> see that.
>
> But either way, even you turn on just regular personalization and don't
> make any modifications to the message, you will get unique queue-ids
> that you can work with and compare against data in your logs.

Yes, that appears to have worked. At least so far after I unsubscribed
the problem user, posts to this particular list have not resulted in
spam reports from AOL.

dn