[Mailman-Users] Default cahrset for 'de' to ISO8859-15/UTF-8?

Tibi Turbureanu tiberiuturbureanu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 00:36:29 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 13:36 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> tct13 wrote:
> >
> >I am Romanian and want MM to use utf-8 encoding because iso-8859-2
> >(current MM charset for Romanian) is not commonly used due its wrong
> >display of s and t letters.
> >
> >I would really appreciate if you would tell us what changes you have made
> >to your MM instance so German can have utf-8 encoding.
> >
> >I have tried changing only the line in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py
> >add langauge ("Romanian", ....... charset="utf-8")
> >but that's not enough.
>

> You also have to use iconv or something similar to transliterate
> messages/ro/LC-MESSAGES/mailman.po and templates/ro/* from iso-8859-2
> to utf-8 and change the charset= parameter on the Content-Type: header
> in messages/ro/LC-MESSAGES/mailman.po and then use msgfmt or Mailman's
> bin/msgfmt.py to update messages/ro/LC-MESSAGES/mailman.mo from
> messages/ro/LC-MESSAGES/mailman.po.
>

> >After I make this change I end up with stuck emails
> >(MM doesn't deliver them any more).
>

> If you check Mailman's error log, you'll probably find uncaught
> exceptions due to trying to process iso-8859-2 templates and/or
> messages as utf-8.

Thank you, it worked! Now we have utf-8 encoding and it's cool. ;-)

We would like to write a minitutor for changing the encoding in MM and a
patch which can change this in the current dev version. I don't know a
single Romanian who still uses iso-8859-2 standard.

I'll come back with references.

Thank you,
Tibi