[Mailman-Users] Mailman is no longer gatewaying news...

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Thu Nov 13 08:37:31 CET 2008

On 11/12/2008 7:54 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> Internally, Mailman acts as an NNTP client to read and post the news, so
> this is where I would be looking for errors and differences.

*nod*

Any suggestions on how a non Python programmer might start looking for
said possible errors?

> I had started a program a while back to allow Mailman to act as an NNTP
> server for posting news (avoiding the NNTP client method), but that
> never got anywhere.

Interesting.

Were you trying to act as an NNTP server so that another NNTP server
could ""feed you articles, or were you trying to act as an NNTP server
so that you could use server to server communications rather than client
to server communications?

> There should be logs in /usr/local/mailman/logs that are relevant to
> these messages, especially in the log file named "usenet".

Hum.  I don't have a log file named "usenet".  Below are the log files
that I do have.

    bounce
    error
    fromusenet
    gate_news.cron.txt
    post
    qrunner
    smtp
    subscribe

> That seems plausible.

Will you please give me a pointer in the direction to look at where
Mailman stores the history of what articles it has seen so I can explore
this further?

> Hmm.  This may be unrelated, but what version of Mailman are you
> running? Have you looked at updating the version of Python you've got
> installed?  The latest 2.4.x version should work well with the latest
> version of Mailman (2.1.11), and I know there are some significant
> changes in the underlying library routines.

Sorry.  I thought that I had posted the version.  I am (and have
successfully been) running Mailman 2.1.7, and I am running Python 2.3.4
(nice numerical progression of numbers there).

I'm not doubting that upgrading both Mailman and Python might solve the
problem, but that is (in my opinion) a rather drastic step to resolve
something that was working.  I would be more inclined to do so if I was
doing a new install and not able to get things to work.  But, if it
comes down to that and I can save all my current information (archives,
user databases, etc, I'm willing to entertain that option down the road.

> It is possible that you may be running into bugs that have already been
> quashed.

Like bugs having to do with the history getting full or keeping track of
too many seen messages?

Is there a place that I can review change logs to see what bugs might
have been corrected in subsequent versions of Mailman and / or Python?

Grant. . . .