[Mailman-Users] mailman "user unknown"

Karen R McArthur kmcarthu at bates.edu
Wed Oct 15 18:46:49 CEST 2008

I'm placing mailman into production for the first time - and I have
approximately 2500 lists.  Many of my lists work fine, but many do not.
  On them, I receive a "user unknown" error.  An example: when send to
the "seo" list, sendmail -bv seo at lists.bates.edu returns
"seo at lists.bates.edu... User unknown"

I have the seo lines in aliases.mailman - and a strings on the
aliases.mailman.db returns correct data for the list.  Some lists listed
in aliases.mailman AFTER seo work correctly, as do some lists listed
BEFORE it - elimination my idea of a corrupt file.

aliases.mailman was generated through "sudo -u mailman bin/genaliases -q
 > aliases.mailman".
I have run newaliases.
I have restarted mailman.
sendmail.cf includes /etc/aliases.mailman in the ALiasFile line - and is
working as it should since some of my lists are working.

aliases.mailman is 28,896 lines long - is that a problem?

Any ideas?

ls -ltr aliases.mailman*
-rw-r--r--   1 mailman root     1845123 Oct 15 12:37 aliases.mailman
-rw-r-----   1 root    smmsp    2646016 Oct 15 12:38 aliases.mailman.db

strings aliases.mailman.db | grep seo
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces seo"
seo-bounces
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm seo"
seo-confirm
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave seo"
seo-leave
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join seo"
seo-join
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin seo"
seo-admin
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner seo"
seo-owner
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe seo"
seo-unsubscribe
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe seo"
seo-subscribe
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request seo"
seo-request
"|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post seo"

--
Karen R. McArthur <kmcarthu at bates.edu>
Systems Administrator

If you find that everybody else is right and you're wrong,
it might just be that you're thinking outside the box. The
world is yet to catch up.