[Mailman-Users] Problem Migrating Mailman to New Server

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Oct 19 18:02:47 CEST 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> Can you go successfully go to a
>> http://www.example.com/mailman/listinfo/listname page for a known
>> listname even though it doesn't appear on the overview. If not, I
>> think your web server is pointing at the wrong place.
>>
>OK, now we are making progress. Thanks. I can indeed see the list if I
>supply the list name in the link like you suggested. I guess that means
>the scriptalias is correct so the question now becomes, why do they not
>show up on the admin or listinfo links? Does this also mean if I start
>mailman it will work in spite of the incorrect web interface?

Yes, Mailman will probably work if you start it as long as aliases or
whatever is required for mail delivery to the list are in place.

As far as lists missing from the listinfo overview, we are back to the
FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/lYA9>.

Assuming the lists are public (Privacy options... -> advertised = Yes),
the list doesn't appear on the overview because

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = On

(the default), and the host portion of the list's web_page_url
attribute does not exactly match the host portion of the URL used to
access the page.

Perhaps you had

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

in mm_cfg.py on the old server and didn't carry it over. Or, perhaps
you changed it in Defaults.py on the old server; if so, this is why
you shouldn't do that.