[Mailman-Users] Announce Only and CC

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 21 18:02:03 CEST 2008

John Whitney wrote:

>I have set-up an announce only Mailman implementation following suggestions
>from various websites. It's working, but there's one thing that I cannot
>figure out how to fix: Every message sent includes a Cc to the list, and a
>To for my email. If people "reply to all", they get my rejection notice
>since it's sending to the Cc as well as my email. Is there a way to
>configure Mailman NOT to include the Cc? Thanks.

The Cc: to the list is included in the outgoing mail because the list
is fully personalized. This is done to facilitate replying to the list
when the list address is not in To: of the outgoing mail. Granted,
this is not appropriate for a fully personalized, announce only list,
but Mailman 2.x at least has no option to not include the Cc: to the
list for a fully personalized list.

You can do the following, although it may not be satisfactory.

1) set personalize to No or Yes, not Full, so the To: header won't
   be changed.
2) post to the list by sending the mail To: yourself with Bcc: to
   the list.
3) under Privacy options... -> Recipient filters eithe set
   require_explicit_destination to No or put your address in
   acceptable_aliases to avoid your post being held for
   "implicit destination". This step is not necessary if you
   post with an Approved: header.

In this way, posts will be From: you and To: you and reply or reply-all
will go to just you.