[Mailman-Users] Spam to "mailmain" list oddity

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Oct 26 15:27:39 CET 2008

Mailman version 2.1.8

I administer mailman on a few domains, and on one I receive a lot of
spam seemingly sent to the mailman@ list.  I can work on my spam
filters, but I'm trying to understand the path the mail is taking
through mailman.

The mailman@ list has only me as the admin and NO members.

I have just a handful of lists on this machine: users@, dev@, svn@,
etc.

When mail is sent to mailman@ I get a message with the following
headers:

The body of the message is simply the sender's body only -- it's not a
mailman-generated message (e.g. approval message).

In my sender filters I have:

    generic_nonmember_action: hold

My question is why is mail to mailmain@ seemingly getting delivered to
users-owner@?

Another thing I'm finding curious:  I have RFC2369 headers enabled on
all lists (including the "mailman" site list).  And indeed messages on
the other (e.g. users@) lists include these headers.  But mail sent to
mailman@ does not include these headers.  Why is that?  Because
List-Post, List-Subscribe, etc. have no uses for the mailman list?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org
Sent from my iMutt