[Mailman-Users] Mailman+SpamBayes for Mailman 2.2

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Apr 8 07:01:46 CEST 2009

Sorry about the rather broad distribution.  A few people have inquired
recently about this code.

I *think* I successfully migrated my cron/gate_news changes to the mailman
2.2 branch.  The modified mailman2.2 branch is available here:

    bzr+ssh://smontanaro@bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Esmontanaro/mailman/SpamBayes/

(I have no idea how these strange URLs work.  You'll probably need to snip
out the "smontanaro@" bit.  What you might replace it with I have no clue or
if the protocol needs to be changed.)

The cron/gate_news file has been changed to run incoming Usenet messages
through the SpamBayes classifier.  There is also a spambayes.ini file to use
as a template.  This simple change worked wonders on the
python-list at python.org mailing list.  I still see complaints about spam from
time-to-time.  I think, "what spam?".  When I investigate I always find it's
a user on the Usenet side of the bridge who is complaining.

There is still absolutely no training support.  You will have to wrangle
that somehow else.  Either the mboxtrain or tte scripts which come with the
SpamBayes distribution should do the trick if you have some collected ham
and spam.  If you need some help, contact me offline or send email to
spambayes at python.org.

Cheers,

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/
        "XML sucks, dictionaries rock" - Dave Beazley