[Mailman-Users] A question on undeliverables

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 30 04:55:32 CEST 2009

Brian Carpenter wrote:

>I have a client who is not using Mailman's automatic bounce processing.
>However he wants to be able to receive any undeliverable notification that
>his list encounters when a post is sent to it so he can manually remove the
>trouble e-mail account himself. Is there a way to configure the list to do
>that? I setup a test list myself to see if I could get undeliverable
>messages sent to myself as the list owner but to no avail.
>
>Am I missing something simple here?

Assuming the MTA uses aliases for delivery to Mailman, set the alias
for LISTNAME-bounces to go to "owner".

You can't do it cleanly with list settings. What you can do with
settings alone is set bounce_processing to Yes, bounce_score_threshold
to 0.5 and bounce_notify_owner_on_disable to Yes. Then the member will
have delivery disabled on the first bounce and the owner will get a
notice with the bounce DSN attached, but the member will have had
delivery disabled even if that isn't what the owner would have wanted.