[Mailman-Users] mailman user password

tanstaafl at libertytrek.org tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Fri Aug 7 12:35:25 CEST 2009

On 8/7/2009 5:44 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>>> (There's no good reason for *any* mailman program to be on anybody's
>>> PATH, so yes, just having /bin/mailmanctl makes your installation
>>> nonstandard.)

>> Hmmm... Mark didn't seem to agree... he said:

> First, if you're sure you know why Mark said what he did, consider him
> authoritative.

Heh... I know enough to know that I'm not sure of anything...

> However, in this case, I was assuming that Mark simply took you at
> your word that mailmanctl lives in /bin, not in something like
> /usr/lib/mailman/bin (which is where it is on Debian; it is also
> visible at /var/lib/mailman/bin).  My point was simply that normally
> Mailman functions are invoked from CGI scripts, the MTA, or an init
> script, so having the full path is not a burden.  None of the Mailman
> servers I have access to have /bin/mailmanctl, so I believe it's
> nonstandard (at the very least I would expect it to be in /sbin, more
> likely /usr/sbin, and most likely, for the reasons mentioned, in none
> of them :-).

In Gentoo, it lives in /usr/lib64/mailman/bin

> The word "nonstandard" was not meant to be critical of your setup,
> except as far as it makes our advice less accurate.

I know, and no offense taken... I did say 'on gentoo'... I totally
understand different distros do things differently. But I was using the
init script that gentoo installed, and no one on the gentoo forums could
figure out why it wouldn't start. Something broke during the 2.1.9 >
2.1.10 upgrade, and I've been trying to fix it ever since... well, I
took a look at it for 15 or 20 minutes, 2 or 3 times (whenever I had to
reboot) over the last 2 years, but since I could start it manually, and
hardly ever reboot, it wasn't a priority.

There's an upgrade available for 2.1.12 now, so I'll see what happens
when I upgrade this time. At least I'll know what to do if it changes
the init script back and still won't start.

> (My preference is to run the oldest OS that can run my services,

<shudder> I'm the exact opposite... ain't it grand that there's a distro
for every one out there somewhere? ;)

--

Best regards,

Charles