[Mailman-Users] Mailman - a few questions

Bill Catambay andale at excaliburworld.com
Fri Aug 14 07:26:56 CEST 2009

At 2:12 PM +0900 on 8/14/09, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Mark Sapiro writes:
>  > Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>  > >NB. "As he needs them to" means that the *list moderator* be
>  > >recognized as the *envelope sender*, and the message be approved in
>  > >that case.
>
>  > >Bottom line, a new feature is needed for his use case.
>
>  > I don't think so. Moderate.py calls the Message.get_senders() method to
>  > get *all* the addresses from the From: header, envelope sender,
>  > member, the post is from a member.
>
>The point is that the OP's use-case is to make a decision based on
>envelope sender == moderator, while preserving originator headers.  A
>member check is not what he wants.

Correct.  The From: header should always be a member of the list (but
a member whose "mod" flag is turned off).   The envelope sender would
be me, the moderator.

I have noticed that about 10 to 20 percent of posts I redirect to the
list (with me as the envelope sender) are actually getting posted
without me having to approve them.  I'm not sure why that is.

The majority, however, are being held for approval.

What I'm really looking for is something to tell Mailman to look at
envelope sender first, and if it's a privileged member (aka, "mod" is
true), immediately deliver.

SIDE NOTE: I've also noticed a few posts recently (total of 3) that
triggered an admin email asking for approval, but when I went to the
web admin interface, there was nothing in the pending queue.  I
actually had to send the posts a 2nd time.  This is a completely
different issue, of course, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's
a known issue.

Bill

PS: Yes, I realize that those who understand their email clients and
understand how the list works would be able to spoof the envelope
sender if they wanted to, but this is not a realistic concern.  In 15
years of moderating this list, no one has ever done that.