[Mailman-Users] Setting the Administrator's interface language tobe different to the default language of the subscribers?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Aug 14 19:48:10 CEST 2009

Paul Hardy wrote:

>I am administrating a list for a group of blind users who speak Japanese. A
>new user's first encounter with the system must be in Japanese. Therefore,
>the default_language is set to Japanese. This means the Adminstrator's
>interface is also in Japanese. This is fine for the most part. However, it
>needs to be in English from time to time. When it is in English, new users
>will see an English-language welcome email. How can I force all new users to
>Japanese, whilst being able to select the Administrator's language at will?

If the new subscriber selects Japanese as her preferred language when
subscribing, confirmations and welcome messages should be in Japanese,
regardless of the list's default language.

There are problems with this however. Namely, there's no way to specify
a language when subscribing by email, and if the listinfo page is in
English, the Japanese speaking user may not understand she can specify
a language.

The second problem could be worked around by creating bi-lingual
listinfo templates, but there may be character set issues in this.

In order to actually force the language to Japanese for new members
regardless of the list's default language would require code
modification.