[Mailman-Users] Installing Mailman Fails

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 18 16:56:06 CEST 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Move that whole directory and all its contents to /usr/local/src/mailman.
>
> AIUI, Mailman is not designed to be run from the source directory, and by
> default it installs into /usr/local/mailman.  So you're trying to
> overwrite the source with itself, usually a bad idea for a number of
> reasons.

Stephen,

   That's amazing! The installation instructions need to be changed to
reflect this. What the step-by-step instructions should read is:

 	mkdir /usr/local/mailman
 	mkdir -p /usr/local/src/mailman

 	untar the downloaded tarball in the latter directory

 	cd /usr/local/src/mailman

 	run ./configure & make & make install in that directory.

   This puts all the necessary files in /usr/local/mailman.

   Final question on installation: can I now delete /usr/local/src/?

Thanks,

Rich