[Mailman-Users] Moving a List

Jeff Bernier jbernier at risd.edu
Tue Feb 3 19:15:47 CET 2009

Mark and others,

Thank you very much for your help with this. I have just one more question...

The source Mailman for my list to be moved is version 2.1.5. The destination Mailman is version 2.1.9. Is there anything I need to take into consideration with my move?
-Jeff

Jeff Bernier wrote:

>I am retiring an older system running Mailman, and I would like to move one of its lists to our shiny new server. I have seen instructions posted for moving all lists from one system to another, but I want to move just one list to the new server already running other lists.
>
>Can someone tell me how this is done? I have no real experience working with Mailman... so go easy on me.

To move a Mailman 2.1.x list from ones server to another running the
same or later Mailman, move the lists/LISTNAME/config.pck file to the
new server. Create the lists/LISTNAME/ directory with the same
ownership and permissions as the other lists/* directories. Run

  bin/withlist -l -r fix_url LISTNAME

to fix the host_name and web_page_url of the list for the new server.

Move the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file from the old
server. Create the archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/ directory with the
same ownership and permissions as the other archives/private/*.mbox/
directories. Run

  bin/.arch --wipe LISTNAME

to build the pipermail archive.

This assumes you have no held messages or pending requests for the list
on the old server. If you do have these, it is best to deal with them
on the old server before moving.