[Mailman-Users] Mailman not updating the archives
mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 20 18:11:59 CET 2009
Jack Knowlton wrote:
>I posted on this list sometime ago regarding a problem happening after I
>moved a mailman installation.
>I thought that the problem had been fixed but today I went to check the
>archives and noticed they stopped at the same time I moved the mailman
>This is the last entry in my error log:
>Feb 19 12:08:39 2009 (17573) SHUNTING:
>Feb 19 13:13:42 2009 (17573) Uncaught runner exception: [Errno 13]
>Permission denied: '/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mylist/index.html'
>Feb 19 13:13:42 2009 (17573) Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 120, in _oneloop
> self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 191, in _onefile
> keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line 73, in _dispose
> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 215, in
> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 324, in close
> File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 1097, in
> toc = open(os.path.join(self.basedir, 'index.html'), 'w')
>IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
>Feb 19 13:13:42 2009 (17573) SHUNTING:
>And the permissions on "index.html" are:
>dell-srv2:~# ls -alh /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/mylist/index.html
>-rw-r--r-- 1 root list 9.8K 2009-01-18 12:27
>I ran several times check_perms -f and it says all is fixed.
check_perms is lying (actually, there are many files, as opposed to
directories, that check_perms doesn't check). The above file and all
files in /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/ excluding those in
/var/lib/mailman/archives/private/*/database/ need to be group
Once you fix these permissions, you could run bin/unshunt to add the
shunted messages to the archive, but there is an issue in that the
messages have been successfully added to
unshunting will add them again.
Rather than trying to fix archive permissions, I suggest you verify
contains all the lists posts from inception to date, and mayby verify
there are no stray "From " lines in message bodies with bin/cleanarch,
and then stop Mailman and rebuild the archive with
bin/arch --wipe listname
and then start Mailman. This way, the pipermail archive will be
completely rebuilt with correct permissions.
This is one reason why I always recommend when moving lists to just
move the LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox file and build the archive on the
new machine with bin/arch.
Note if you do this, remove the shunted messages from qfiles/shunt/ so
they don't accidently get unshunted in the future.
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
More information about the Mailman-Users