[Mailman-Users] Non-subscribers defeating the generic non-member action

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Jul 6 19:27:47 CEST 2009

Robert Boyd Skipper wrote:

> Thank you for this info.  I'll see if I have access to
> archives/private/LIST.mbox/List.mbox.

If you don't have direct access to the file on host, you can get it via
the web with a URL like
<http://www.example.com/Mailman/private/LIST.mbox/LIST.mbox>. This works
whether the archive is private or public.

> To answer your question, I made a mistake in the regex (it's been years
> since messing with those little darlings). I actually blocked the
> spoofed email by putting "test at mydomain.org" in the "discard these
> non-members" list.

The ONLY thing that will be accomplished by putting an address or regexp
in discard_these_nonmembers is that mail from matching non-member
addresses will be discarded instead of applying generic_nonmember_action.
If generic_nonmember_action is other than Accept, this should have no
effect on whether a particular message goes to the list without moderator
action.

> Since I have also been getting emails from
> "test at otherdomain.com" I thought I would just discard everything with a
> username the same as my (pretty unique) listname.  But I see now that I
> got that regex wrong.
>
> I don't understand how non-alphanumeric characters made a difference,
> either, but they did.  Emails containing  such characters were not in
> general a problem, but if they started with a '_' or a '-' or something
> of the sort, mailman would simply let them through. When I put the
> following regexes into the spam filter rule 1, the problem stopped:
> from: _.*@.*
> from: -.*@.*
> and then, later, just in case, I added
> from: \W.*@.*

Did you ever test with your own message with a From: beginning with '_' or
'-' to see if that was really letting messages through or if it was just a
coincidence?

Again,