[Mailman-Users] Rewriting or identifying late bounces

Stefan Förster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Wed Jul 8 18:56:29 CEST 2009

* Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:
> Stefan Förster wrote:
>>     generated by recipient at intern.example.com
>>     mailbox is full: retry timeout exceeded
>>
>> Is there any way to rewrite those addresses or to help Mailman
>> identify those bounces correctly?
>>
>> And yes, this a pretty stupid thing to do on their ISPs part...
>

> Mailman has a whole host of heuristic recognizers for non-compliant DSNs,
> but it doesn't try to guess if a non-member bouncing address might be a
> munged version of a member address.

Because it's a pretty stupid thing to do - at least the fact that
addresses are not rewritten twice.

> The 'best' solution for recognizing original recipients of bounced
> messages is Mailman's VERP like capability. This puts the original
> recipient's address in the envelope sender address so the envelope in this
> case is from invalidlist-bounces+recipient=example.com at lists.incertum.net.
> When the bounce is returned to that address, the MTA delivers it to the
> list-bounces address and Mailman recognizes the original recipient as
> recipient at example.com from the envelope recipient of the DSN.
>
> The cost of this approach is that Mailman has to send an individual
> message to the outgoing MTA for each recipient.

Bummer. There is no way to implement that, our mailing list server is
already suffering from too much traffic, it's quite old hardware,
after all.

Thanks anyways
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9
FdI #283: whoami - Whoami ist nur was für Leute mit Alzheimer! (Begründung von