[Mailman-Users] Mailman Installation with Multiple IP Addresses

Amardeo Sarma sarma at gwup.org
Sun Jul 12 18:13:00 CEST 2009

For many years I have been running Mailman with several mailman lists
using multiple domains (virtual hosts) on a single server without major
issues (Thanks btw for this great and reliable software - hard to
imagine living without it).

Now I have a problem with a server with multiple IP addresses (FreeBSD
6.3, Mailman 2.1.12, Apache 2.2, Sendmail). When virtual hosts are
assigned to *different* IP Addresses, the Mailman Web Interface does not
work for any but the virtual hosts assigned to the main IP Address,
though mail delivery is not a problem.

With https://lists.mydomain.org/mailman/admin/listname and
lists.mydomain.org assigned to a non-main IP address I get an error with:

"Premature end of script headers: admin"

I temporarily reassigned lists.mydomain.org to the main IP address on
the server and things work fine, but if this can be configured for
Mailman I would like to change it back. I tried adding the same lines:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/
<Directory /usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin/>
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
Alias   /pipermail/     /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
<Directory "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/">
    AddDefaultCharset Off

inside the specific virtual host in httpd.conf, of course restarted
apache, but that did not work either.

The temporary solution works fine for the moment, but does anyone have a
suggestion how this can be fixed? Are there Apache configuration
examples for this (possibly) exotic case?

Amardeo Sarma
sarma at gwup.org