[Mailman-Users] mailman and group mismatch error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jul 30 20:20:31 CEST 2009

Greg White wrote:
>I am running Centos 5.3 with all of the updates.  I needed a mail list server so I installed mailman and postfix.  I did yum install postfix and yum install mailman.  postfix installed and can send email to my live account so it is working.  mailman is installed and I can goto my server and subscribe to a list.  I get the confirmation email from mailman.  However when I try to post I get a group mismatch error.
>I have done a google search and everyone says to recompile with the proper ./configure.  I installed from packages.  I would rather not have to recompile.  Everything seems to be ok except I can't post.
># /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman
>Group mismatch error. Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed
>as one of the following groups:
>[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
>but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group: "root".
>Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as one of these groups:
>[mail, postfix, mailman, nobody, daemon],
>or re-run configure providing the command line option:

This only tells us that you ran the wrapper as root. It doesn't say how
Postfix ran it.

># /usr/lib/mailman/bin/check_perms -f
>No problems found
>So what did I do wrong?  And why isn't check_perms detecting the problem.  From what I read on the internet this is a very common problem.

Group mismatch errors have little to do with permissions and
check_perms can't really check them. See the FAQ at

The answer in your case is that Mailman's aliases need to be in an
aliases.db file whose owner's primary group is one of your above list
- normally 'mailman'. Note that this doesn't mean the file's group; it
means the primary group of the file's owner. This is a Postfix thing.

If you have Mailman/Postfix integration properly configured, this
should be automatic because the aliases will be in Mailman's
data/aliases* files and data/aliases.db will be owned by the Mailman

Note that if this isn't all properly set up from the rpms, that is a
RedHat/CentOS packaging issue over which we have no control.