[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.9 incorrectly holding messages for "Reason: Message has implicit destination"

Schmitt, Gordon A. gordie at stcloudstate.edu
Wed Jun 17 23:32:18 CEST 2009

We had been using mailman 2.1.5 installed on Redhat Enterprise v3.n for several years .  A few months ago, we installed a new Redhat system for our mailing list server, Redhat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) which has Mailman 2.1.9 installed. I followed various instructions on migrating the mailing lists and everything seemed to be working just fine. However, within the past few weeks we noticed that some users sending to their favorite lists are having a lot of trouble with their messages being held as: "Reason:    Message has implicit destination" . Many users do not have this happen.  I have been investigating and testing and I can not figure out why. Our main campus mail system is Exchange 2007.  They have put the address in the correct place, i.e. The To: or CC: fields.

We create exchange contacts for each mailing list that forwards the message to the mailing list server, e.g. listname at stcloudstate.edu forwards to listname at lserver.stcloudstate.edu and there was never any problems for the past several years before our upgrade.  Below is the header info from a message that is being held that should have passed through. Can anyone think of what is causing this behavior for certain messages? One person mentioned that it  happenes when he did a reply-all to a message and it worked after  creatomg a new message. I do not know if this could be related because I tried doing this and all my messages went through fine. I may have to experiment more with what email client software the messages are being sent from, I mostly use Entourage on a Mac. The majority of campus use Outlook on some version of Windows.

Thanks for any help
Gordon Schmitt
St. Cloud State University