[Mailman-Users] Sender address domain expanded - posts rejected by privacy options

Drew Tenenholz drew.tenenholz at isid.org
Tue Jun 23 19:24:05 CEST 2009

Dear fountain of Mailman knowledge --

Something strange is happening on a Mailman 2.1.9 installation that
is being run for me.  I wonder if it makes sense to any of you out
there.

We are running a closed list, which severely restricts who is allowed
to post and subscribe.  This is mostly for an internal discussion
about a post before it is sent to the announce-only (parallel) list.

One newly added user is having trouble posting.  I believe Mailman
may be doing something I didn't expect, and we've been able to
compensate for it, but I'd like to know if I'm going crazy or not.
I've set up the poster with a series of email account settings as
follows:

user at subsidiary.org  is an alias on the subsidiary.org mail server
that simply points to userfirst.userlast at isid.org.  There is no
mailbox for this user on the subsidiary.org server.  They have a real
email account on the mail server "isid.org" which they can access via
both POP and webmail.

When they send mail from the webmail system, their account settings
for the 'From:' and 'Reply-To:' addresses are user at subsidiary.org.

If I send a message directly to myself from their account, the From
and Reply-To addresses are correct.

When the message arrives at Mailman 2.1.9, the From address has
dramatically changed into user at fullMX.record.expanded.edu  What gives!

To be complete, there really is a server at
fullMX.record.expanded.edu which handles mail (not for this user),
but I don't know where/why Mailman should be doing some sort of
lookup and replace the "@subsidiary.org" with the full MX name.  So,
we updated the Privacy>Sender Filters (and General>Moderators) had to
include this address and everything is working.

The real question is why did this happen?  Is it expected?  Has it
been changed in later versions?  If there is a FAQ or something to
tell me how this works, I'd love to read it.

Thanks in Advance,
Drew Tenenholz