[Mailman-Users] decoding unicode error

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 9 17:01:45 CET 2009

Stoyan Angelov wrote:
>recently i migrated my mailman lists to a new machine and at the same 
>time i upgraded to the latest version available at that time - 2.1.12rc2 
>(from 2.1.1).

Note: the OP also reported this problem in comments to
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/328353> and it is being
worked there.

>with the new version i am getting lots of error messages in the error 
>log and lots of shunted messages, additionally digest are not being send:
>Feb 23 13:51:15 2009 (13445) Uncaught runner exception: decoding Unicode 
>is not supported
>Feb 23 13:51:15 2009 (13445) Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 120, in _oneloop
>     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 191, in _onefile
>     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line 73, in 
>     mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 216, in 
>     h.processUnixMailbox(f)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 578, in 
>     a = self._makeArticle(m, self.sequence)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 681, in 
>     mlist=self.maillist)
>   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 305, in 
>     charset = message.get_content_charset(cset_out)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/email/Message.py", line 800, in 
>     charset = unicode(charset, 'us-ascii').encode('us-ascii')
>TypeError: decoding Unicode is not supported
>Feb 23 13:51:15 2009 (13445) SHUNTING: 
>Feb 23 14:00:29 2009 (13448) send_digests() failed: decoding Unicode is 
>not supported

The shunted messages are for the archive. They are apparently delivered
OK to the non-digest list members. Once the underlying issue is
resolved, they can be unshunted and they will be archived.

>i found that the above problem was fixed in the final 2.1.12 version 
>(https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/328353) so i upgraded my 
>mailman installation to 2.1.12.

Actually, the fix in 2.1.12 was for a somewhat different manifestation
of this issue.

>after the upgrade i ran the senddigests script manually but i still get 
>the following error:
>$ /usr/bin/python -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/senddigests
>List: sgd-users: problem processing 
>decoding Unicode is not supported
>List: sunray-users: problem processing 
>decoding Unicode is not supported
>i am using opensolaris snv_10 (x64) and python 2.4.4.

See the bug report for more information.

Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>        The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list