[Mailman-Users] Why does this happen???

Robert Nickel rnickel at scea.com
Mon Mar 16 07:16:13 CET 2009

On 2009.03.15 17:00:08 +1100, James Reid wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Can someone please explain why I have a small number of users who
> occasionally send message to mylist-bounces at domain.com instead of to the
> correct address mylist at domain.com ?
>
> I suspect that it is to do with the email client that they are using and
> whether they are replying or reply-to-all, but don't see it happening often
> enough to be able to figure it out (I'd like to add something to the sign-on
> message for the group to give people more info on how to avoid this
> problem).

This is a reply-to-all artifact.  It gets caught by the bounce processor and
is not understood as a normal bounce message and gets forwarded on to you.

Nothing is wrong with mailman, some user education could help but it will
never go away totally unless you wish to completely disable unrecognized
bounce messages which is a bad thing.

HTH,
  --Robert