[Mailman-Users] File/directory permissions in Mailman

Jeff Bernier jbernier at risd.edu
Thu Mar 19 17:51:55 CET 2009

When I run the check_perms command, I get the following result:

Warning: Private archive directory is other-executable (o+x).
         This could allow other users on your system to read private archives.
         If you're on a shared multiuser system, you should consult the
         installation manual on how to fix this.

I correct this, but If I come back and run the command again, say, after restarting the Mailman server, the warning reappears.

In addition to this, as new messages are archived and their associated files and directories are created, I see results like the example below if I again run the check_perms command:

directory permissions must be 02775: /private/var/mailman/archives/private/list-name/attachments/20090319

Running check_perms -f fixes it, but the very next time a message is archived, this permissions error condition occurs again.
I am using a graphical SSH utility called WinSCP to make these changes. Could this be part of my problem?

Mailman 2.1.9 on Mac OS X Server 10.5.6

Any help is appreciated.

-Jeff

Jeff Bernier