[Mailman-Users] Mailman

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Sun May 3 15:19:20 CEST 2009

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 03:06:20PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> The MTA should be installed from the system's package.  I find both
> sendmail and exim to be arcane.

If you're planning on using Debian and Exim, note that the packagers of
Pkg-exim4 really have done some rather "strange" things to it (or as I
usually put it "really fucked up a perfectly fine MTA, compared with the
BSD packagers"), so do read the readmes, although, if you've got the
inclination, I'd suggest steering clear of pkg-exim4, and compiling your
own.

Rolling out your own exim4.conf/config file may help alieviate some of
(what I'd call) the muppetry, but still there are other "brokennesses",
which can often be fixed by adding things to the "Debian-exim" group,
and set-gid'ing.

(we all have our prejudices, and preferences: I just really hate what
the Debian packagers have done).

--
``... it was not appropriate for the jury to make a statistical evaluation
  of separate items of evidence by applying mathematical formulae such as the