[Mailman-Users] Patch for use of Postfix VERP support

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu May 14 01:17:55 CEST 2009

Fil wrote:

> As the emails are sent one by one the connection rate to these systems
> can get very high, and we get delayed.
>
> Ideas?

Having postfix do your VERP'ing for you isn't going to help.  Mailman needs
to know what VERP was used going out, so that it can match that when the
bounce comes back in.  Even if you could patch Mailman so that it would
automatically understand the postfix-style VERP and properly apply that, it
still wouldn't help you.

Delivering larger amounts of messages from Mailman to postfix and then
having postfix do the VERP'ing isn't going to keep your delivery rates to
remote sites at a lower level -- if anything, it's going to increase it.

This is a postfix problem.  Find the sites that cause the problems, and set
up separate queues for them, with different parallelism and
re-queueing/re-try schedules.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out