[Mailman-Users] Deleting messages from archive....

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 15 20:40:38 CEST 2009

Charles Gregory wrote:

>Has anyone ever developed a point-n-click tool to delete
>a message from an archive, preferably by just eliminating the
>From/To/Subject and body, but leaving the links intact, with
>a placeholder message that says "message content removed", etc?

Not as far as I know.

>I found lots of FAQ's and posts on the 'manual' way to do it.
>Just surprised there were no references to a quick-n-easy tool....
>
>It would be really nice if this could integrate with the
>mailman admin pages, so that list owners could manage their own
>archives.... Alternately, an e-mail control (which I could key to
>sender address) would suffice.

One issue is the tool wouldn't be so simple. You can't just edit the
HTML article because if that's all you do, the content will return if
you ever rebuilt the archive. The content is in 3 or 4 places - the
LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox raw archive, the HTML article, the
periodic .txt file and the periodic .txt.gz file if any.

The cleanest way to do it is to edit the LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox
and rebuild the pipermail archive, but that is an expensive process
and can have unintended side effects.