[Mailman-Users] Discarding defers from the command line

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 16 18:00:15 CEST 2009

Bernie Cosell wrote:

>> Actually a FAQ more specific to this question is
>> <http://wiki.list.org/x/nIA9>.
>
>I've been pushing on this some, to no avail at the moment.  The simple
>part was finding the data directory, the wiki isn't exactly correct: on
>our install, at least, the data directory is in /var/lib/mailman.  Since
>it seems to be constructed from VAR_PREFIX I'd guess that on most setups
>it'd be in a different place than ~mailman.

I added a note to the FAQ about this.

>What I'm running into now is that the command-line pgm has to be run as
>user 'mailman' and I can't do that [at least not very easily].  I tried
>setting discard to be setgid, but that seems not to work,

SETGID only works for binary executables. It doesn't work for scripts
of any kind.

Can you add yourself to the 'mailman' group? That should be sufficient.

>so I guess this
>is a followon question: is there a way to make python scripts run
>setuid/setgid?  [basically, my situation is that I can only get to the
>mail server logged in as me, NOT logged in as mailman] -- I suppose I
>could always write a setgid Perl one-liner to run the Python discard..:o)

It won't work with Perl either. It has to be a binary executable. Thats
the reason for all the compiled SETGID wrappers in mailman's cgi-bin/
and mail/ directories.

It seems you are able to get some kind of privileges on the mail server
if you are able to make mailman files SETGID. Can you run sudo? Can
you run newgrp to set your logged in group to 'mailman'?

The attached members.c.txt file is the source of a wrapper I use (the
executable is SETGID mailman) to allow apache (php scripts) to execute
certain mailman commands. If all else fails, you could strip the
command check logic or add discard to the array of allowed commands
and use it.