[Mailman-Users] Installation On Separate Server Plausible?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon May 18 05:18:57 CEST 2009

Brad Knowles writes:

 > You can certainly configure Mailman to use your new mail-only server as
 > the external mail interface to the world, but I think you're going to
 > need to have some sort of mail server running on the web server machine,
 >
 > The only other solution I can see is to have your mail server and web
 > server both mount and share the same file storage,
 >
 > However, neither of these is an easy configuration to set up or
 > maintain, at least not relative to the typical method.

Setting up a webhost MTA to talk only to the mail server host is much
easier than setting up a networked filesystem, and far more robust in
my experience.  Even if you already have networked file systems in
place, the requirements placed by mail servers, webservers, and local
users on the networked file system are rather different, and unless
you're already managing all of those on the networked file system,
trying to tune and maintain the networked file system is going to cost
way more in admin time and system down time than the internal-only MTA
on the webhost.  (But listen to Brad and Mark, not me, if they say
something different.)