[Mailman-Users] phantom subscription requests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue May 19 00:04:52 CEST 2009

David Newman wrote:

>Don't know if this is a coincidence, but ever since rebuilding a Mailman
>server that crashed last week and restoring the lists from archives, the
>site admin address has received a few dozen bogus subscription requests
>to lists on that server.

These can result from spam to the LIST-subscribe and/or LIST-join
addresses. Check your MTA logs to see if that's where the requests are
coming from.

>This is odd, in that I'm site admin and have not sent any such requests.
>>From the little bit of spot checking I've done, the requests appear to
>come mostly from machines in RIPE space in Europe.
>
>Is anyone else seeing this? What measures, if any, can a site admin take
>to block bogus subscription requests?

Short of disabling the -subscribe and -join addresses, you can't stop
the requests, but you can use subscribe_policy to mitigate the impact.
If it is spam, requests won't be confirmed.