[Mailman-Users] How to unshunt?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 25 16:58:35 CEST 2009

Ulf Dunkel wrote:

>I have found various error reports in /var/log/mailman/error and fixed
>everything to have a usable Mailman again. But there are still many
>shunted emails in /qfiles/retry/, /qfiles/shunt/ and /qfiles/virgin/.

The files in qfiles/retry/ and qfiles/virgin/ are not shunted. If they
are *.pck files, they should be processed normally by RetryRunner and
VirginRunner respectively if those runners are running. If they are
*.bak files, they are 'backup' queue entries that were possibly left
behind if the runner died while processing a message. If so, they
should be reprocessed the next time the runner starts.

>When I try
>
>$ /var/lib/mailman/bin/unshunt
>$ -bash: unshunt: command not known

Does /var/lib/mailman/bin/unshunt exist and is it executable (mode
-rwxr-xr-x)?

>What am I doing wrong? When I try
>
>$ /var/lib/mailman/bin/python unshunt

Do you really have a python in /var/lib/mailman/bin or did you perhaps
mean

$ python /var/lib/mailman/bin/unshunt

>it simply returns to the prompt after a while, without having proceeded
>the shunted files, as far as I can see. Is my "unshunt" kind of damaged?

Unshunt will process *.bak and *.pck files in qfiles/shunt/ first
renaming the .bak files to .pck and then attempting to restore the
.pck files to their original queue. For any .pck files it can't
requeue, it should print a "Cannot unshunt message xxxxx, skipping"
message and leave that file as a .bak in the shunt/ queue.

You can look at these files with bin/dumpdb -p to see the message and
the metadata. Each file should contain two objects, the message and
the metadata. The metadata should have a 'whichq' attribute indicating
which queue to put it in.

Is it possible that the messages are being unshunted and then throwing
exceptions in processing and being shunted again?

What do mailman's error and smtp-failure (for retry) logs say?