[Mailman-Users] How to unshunt?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 25 20:45:57 CEST 2009

Ulf Dunkel wrote:

>>> Yes, it exists there physically (no link or stuff) and is executable
>>> with mode -rwxr-xr-x.
>>

>> Then the #! first line points at a non-existent python, or if it says
>> "#! @PYTHON@", this is a file that has not been configured by
>> Mailman's configure - i.e it is a file unpacked from the tarball and
>> not processed through configure and make.
>
>The first line reads like this:
>----- snip -----
>#! /usr/bin/python
>----- snap -----
>
>... and of course /usr/bin/python exists, but is a link to
>/usr/bin/python2.4 - is this okay?

It should be. I am now out of ideas as to why bash would report

$ /var/lib/mailman/bin/unshunt
$ -bash: unshunt: command not known

Although that doesn't seem to be an exact copy/paste of the command and
response.

>> The "Temporary local problem" message is reported by your MTA to
>> Mailman. Check the MTA's logs which may have more information.
>
>This looks rather strange to me (identical in exim4/mainlog and
>exim4/rejectlog):
>----- snip -----
>2009-05-25 17:56:38 H=localhost (calamus.calamus.net) [127.0.0.1]
>F=<udo_discussion-bounces at lists.udo-open-source.org> temporarily
>rejected RCPT <udo-discussion-owner at lists.udo-open-source.org>: remote
>host address is the local host
>----- snap -----
>
>I have really NO IDEA what this means and how I can fix it. ;-)
>Both domains (calamus.net and udo-open-source.org) are on my server.

This is an exim configuration question.
<http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html> may help.

Is lists.udo-open-source.org in the "domainlist local_domains" list in
exim.conf?

>> Regarding the utf8 issue, your OP says "I recently changed my Mailman
>> 2.1.9 installation to use and support Unicode." The error occurs when
>> CookHeaders is trying to encode the list's 'description' for the
>> List-ID header. I suspect that the charset for the list's preferred
>> language is now utf-8, but the list's description is still iso-8859-1
>> or whatever and thus contains non utf-8 codes.
>
>Thank you. I'll check these ...
>
>PS: By the way: Checking the .pck contents, I see much SPAM stuff. Would
>it be okay to simply delete those .pck files and concentrate on my own
>messages in both the /retry/ and /shunt/ folders?

Yes. Just delete them.