[Mailman-Users] Errors on mailman startup

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 29 23:14:13 CEST 2009

Dave Filchak wrote:

>OK .. ran both tests as mailman. First one was fine. Second one, while
>it shown no errors initially, I only received the email that was sent as
>a rcpt (secondary email address). The To: email address did not get
>delivered. The smtp-failure logs do not show a specific error for that
>email transaction but it still shows a ton of the same errors, i.e.:
>
>May 29 16:21:04 2009 (6489) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service
>not known'), msgid: <mailman.1.1243617046.6486.someone at domain.net>
>May 29 16:21:04 2009 (6489) delivery to someone at domain.org failed with
>code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')
>
>Both /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts are world readable. I am truly stumped.

That example won't deliver to any addresses in the message headers.
Also, it won't log any errors. Error will be written to Python's
stderr (normally the terminal). It sends to the addresses in the rcpts
list as those are the only addresses communicated via SMTP. I.e., the
envelope is sent to the rcpts regardless of what the message inside
the envelope says.

OK. I'm stumped too. Check the definitions of SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT in
Defaults.py and possible overrides in mm_cfg.py to make sure they are
'localhost' and 0 respectively.

Also, another thing that occurred to me at one point which I don't
think makes any difference and which looked OK in your prior post of
'ps' output, but make sure that a sendmail process didn't start on
it's own after the power failure.

chkconfig --list sendmail

or however you set these things on your system should show sendmail is
off at all run levels. sendmail should only be run by MailScanner.

If your python is 2.4.x or later, you can use the technique described
in the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/-IA9> to obtain debugging info
from Python's smtplib. The extra information will be written to
Mailman's error log.