[Mailman-Users] Personalization - How do I explicitly disable Sender field rewrite

Tim Van Dyne Tim.VanDyne at valleyair.org
Thu Nov 19 20:04:54 CET 2009

I just upgraded to 2.1.9 and it seems that Personalization now re-writes
the "Sender" or "From" field on all recipients' emails to use the
'description' of the list.  I've been unsuccessful in disabling this
unless I delete the description field, but then there would be no
description on the listinfo page.  Is there a quick entry I can put into
mm_cfg.py or modify on one of the other files to disable the Sender/From
It seems like defaulting to 'No' for personalization starts out ok.
Then I change it to 'Yes' and it makes the From field:
"list description" <email at address.blah>
I want just:
<email at address.blah>

When I change Personalization back to 'No', the effect stays the same.
Now I'm unable to get rid of this From field rewrite unless I make a new

We want Personalization in order to use some variables in the footer,
and of course to remedy some external user spam filtering issues.
But we don't want the Sender/From field to contain the list's