[Mailman-Users] HTML messages not passed, content filtering settings ignored

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Nov 28 16:52:10 CET 2009

Christian Stalberg wrote:

>   I am using digests. here is the header of the digest I am receiving
>   with the header of one of its messages:

In my original reply I wrote "perhaps you are seeing a 'scrubbed'
message in a digest". That is the case here. HTML cannot be included
in the plain text digest, so it is 'scrubbed' (i.e. stored aside and
replaced by a link).

[...]
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Message: 3
>   Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:13:40 -0500 (EST)
>   From: Admin <admin at halliburtonwatch.net>
>   To: halliburtonwatch at halliburtonwatch.net
>   Subject: [halliburtonwatch] Lawyers: government misconduct in
>       halliburton case

The HTML part was removed, stored aside and replaced by the above note
and link. The link appears to be broken (it redirects to a page that
says there is no website at that domain), but that is a separate issue.

[...]
>   Now here's the header of that same message sent to the list for
>   distribution:

If you want to see the same thing in the digest as in the individual
message, you must select MIME as your digest format.

The list admin can uncheck 'plain' on the Membership Management... ->
Membership List page or the user can select MIME for "Get MIME or
Plain Text Digests?" on the user's options page.

Also, the admin can set Digest options -> mime_is_default_digest to
MIME to make MIME the default digest format for new list members.