[Mailman-Users] OT: Yahoo Deferrals

Stefan Förster cite+mailman-users at incertum.net
Sun Oct 4 09:30:23 CEST 2009

* Jeff Grossman <jeffg at turners.com>:
> I have a question regarding Yahoo deferrals.  I know this subject has
> been talked about a lot.  Everything I could find via Google was from at
> least a year ago though.  I was wondering if anybody has found new ways
> of limiting the Yahoo deferrals?  I run two mailing lists.  Each one is
> an announcement only list which I send one message to each week.  One
> list is about 12,000 users and the other is about 9,000 users.  I have
> noticed that a majority of the e-mail addresses are from yahoo.com so I
> get a lot of the deferral messages and it takes a little while to get
> them all sent out.  Here is what I have done so far.
>
> I am running Mailman version 2.1.12.  I have full personalization turned
> on to help with bounces.  I have all of the verp options turned on:
>
> VERP_CONFIRMATIONS = Yes
>
> VERP_PROBES = Yes
>
> VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes
>
> Everything on the mailman side is working pretty well.
>
> I am running Postfix 2.6.3.  I have the following configuration settings
> in my main.cf file:
>
> slow_destination_recipient_limit = 5

You are using VERP - every message will be sent with one recipient
only, so you can safely remove this setting.

> slow_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
>
> slow_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit = 4

You are limiting yourself to eight temporary failures before Yahoo! is
declared dead. A higher failed_cohort_limit (e.g. 2000) would allow
far more temporary failures before delivery to Yahoo is suspended. I
suggest you give it a try once and compare the results.

I further suggest checking you logs and looking for scache entries
(conn_use=x in delivery lines and it's own scache entries).

Ciao
Stefan
--
Stefan Förster     http://www.incertum.net/     Public Key: 0xBBE2A9E9