[Mailman-Users] upgrading from 2.1.9 to 2.1.12

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 21 04:47:20 CEST 2009

Troy Campbell wrote:

>I'm considering upgrading from a current installation running
>2.1.9 to a new server running 2.1.12.
>Do I need to upgrade the 2.1.9 version on the existing server first?

No.

>I saw this note about 2.1.9 which I think I can safely ignore
>but wondering if there are any other upgrade issues:
>http://wiki.list.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4030623

If you're referring to the note about .bak files in qfiles/in, that
would only apply if 1) such files exist on the 2.1.9 server and 2) you
are upgrading the 2.1.9 server.

There are no particular gotchas in a 2.1.9 to 2.1.12 move.

>My preference is to make a copy of everything on the new
>server and try a cutover so I would have the old server to
>fall back to in case there are any issues since it's a relatively
>important mail server (production like qualities).
>
>Secondly, how do I move the "lists" to the second server?  Is there
>a way to export the lists and re-import to another server such
>that all the password information is retained

If it is a standard Mailman without any custom member adaptors, all the
list and member information, passwords, member options, etc. (except
archives) is in the lists/LISTNAME/config.pck file.

>or do I have to move or
>copy the "var-prefix" directory over and other parts?  I'm
>looking for a tool that's a bit more robust than just "list_members".
>I looked at this link but "step 1" did not seem to apply to my
>installation..my current configuration is alot more like "step 3":
>http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/How+do+I+move+a+list+to+a+different+server-Mailman+installation.

Look only at the first paragraph of that FAQ and the list posts linked
from that paragraph.

If you're not concerned about moving held messages and subscription
requests etc. pending confirmation. you only need to move

lists/LISTNAME/config.pck
archives/private/LISTNAME/
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox

for each LISTNAME. If the domain names aren't changing, that's enough

If domain names are changing, you also need to run fix_url after moving
the lists and you probably only need to move
archives/private/LISTNAME.mbox/LISTNAME.mbox and not
archives/private/LISTNAME/ because you will probably want to rebuild
the archives.

If you want the held messages and pending requests, also move
lists/LISTNAME/request.pck and lists/LISTNAME/pending.pck and
data/heldmsg-LISTNAME* for each list.