[Mailman-Users] hepl with python syntax, etc.

marisa at umn.edu marisa at umn.edu
Fri Oct 9 01:11:45 CEST 2009

Hello! I have three questions. I really will appreciate your help!

As you will notice from the questions, I am dealing with spam mail from
people who writes from "konwn" servers  -- I already filter messages with
heathers that show "spam" and "unknown". One of the major problems is
some people that uses for the "from" address the name of the mailng list,
so I like to be able to filter messages by individual names as well.

1) What is the expression that I should use for:

"List of non-member addresses whose postings will be immediately held for
moderation."

If I want to allaw all but a few users (like list1 and list2) from
my domain (stat.umn.edu anbd/or umn.edu) to be hold for moderation?

I tested with combinations like:

^.*\@*\.umn\.edu | =! suzane\@stat\.umn\.edu | =!jerry\@stat\.umn\.edu

but things do not work. If I use only:

^.*\@*\.umn\.edu

yes, I can accept people from this domain and no one else, but when
I add an "and" ("|") everything seems to break and no one from the
umn.edu domain is is accepted.

I also try to use the example from a mailng list topic -- "How do I
accept or reject all addresses from a particular domain".

I included in "List of non-member addresses whose postings will be
automatically discarded" the names of the users that I want to discard

(list1 and list2 on my exaple) plus the negation of all the others
from the domain I will alllaw:

That box looks like:
list1 at stat.umn.edu
list2 at stat.umn.edu
^[^@]+@(?!(.*\.)?umn\.edu$)

and no good resoults neither.

2) how does mailman builds the lists that show on:

"List of non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically
rejected"

and

"List of non-member addresses whose postings will be automatically
discarded."

and other places like for some spam filters as well?

and 3)

I understand that mailman will retry when mail can not be sent once each
hours for five days, according with:

DELIVERY_RETRY_PERIOD = days(5)
DELIVERY_RETRY_WAIT = hours(1)

but by looking at logs (mailman and postfix) it seems like mailman
attempts to send the messages again each time it gets the error 450 from
postfix. that becames a never ending dialogue! Am I missign some
settings?

Thank you!