[Mailman-Users] What causes "decoding Unicode is not supported"?

Rosenbaum, Larry M. rosenbaumlm at ornl.gov
Wed Sep 2 17:12:15 CEST 2009

> From: Mark Sapiro [mailto:mark at msapiro.net]
>
> Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
>
> >> From: Mark Sapiro [mailto:mark at msapiro.net]

> What
> >> causes the following "decoding Unicode is not supported" error
> message?
> >> I've looked at digest.mbox and didn't find any Unicode.
> >> [...]
> >> /usr/local/mailman/lists/dcaplusplus/digest.mbox:
> >>

> >> I think this may be the "Mailman 2.1.12 is not compatible with
> python
> >> 2.4.x (x>3)" issue. See the March 2009 note at the end of the FAQ at
> >> <http://wiki.list.org/x/pYA9>.
> >
> >My original message was incorrect (I was looking at the wrong system).
> The system generating the error message is running python 2.5, which is
> stated as one of the recommended Python versions.  What else can I
> check?

> Add the two lines
>                     import traceback
>                     traceback.print_exc()
>
> cron/senddigestsx -l dcaplusplus
>
> This should produce a traceback in addition to the above message. Post
> that.

Thank you for the excellent instructions.  Here is the output:

ornl71# cron/senddigestsx -l dcaplusplus
List: dcaplusplus: problem processing /usr/local/mailman/lists/dcaplusplus/digest.mbox:
decoding Unicode is not supported
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cron/senddigestsx", line 89, in main
    mlist.send_digest_now()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Digester.py", line 60, in send_digest_now
    ToDigest.send_digests(self, mboxfp)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 142, in send_digests
    send_i18n_digests(mlist, mboxfp)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py", line 339, in send_i18n_digests
    mcset = msg.get_content_charset('')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/email/message.py", line 759, in get_content_charset
    charset = unicode(charset, 'us-ascii').encode('us-ascii')
TypeError: decoding Unicode is not supported