[Mailman-Users] Opt out footers as .txt attachments preventing CAN SPAM Act compliance

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Sep 5 05:21:15 CEST 2009

Keith Jarvis writes:

 > I'm part of a small nonprofit running Mailman version 2.1.9 and we have
 > consistently found that most of our subscribers receive the footers where
 > the opt out language is as .txt attachments and therefore do not know how to
 > opt out.

Sounds like most of your subscribers use Outlook [Express].  There's
nothing Mailman can do about buggy software produced by an 800-lb
gorilla.

As Mark Sapiro wrote in another post:

    See the FAQ at <http://wiki.list.org/x/84A9>. [...]
    If neither option 1 or 2 works either, you can see the note at the
    bottom which will lead you to a patch which we don't recommend for
    the reasons discussed in the FAQ, but which you may find useful.

If you are running Mailman yourself but don't have the expertise to
apply a patch, there may be people on this list who would be willing
to help a "poor nonprofit" at nominal cost.  If you were located in
Tsukuba Japan I'd do it for beer and pizza. :-)  If you are depending
on your ISP for Mailman support, and they're getting a lot of problem
reports, they might be willing to do it to keep the paying customers
happy.

Note that if the patch is applied, you/they need to say so in any
future problem reports about attachments.