[Mailman-Users] Test mesages

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 8 17:58:46 CEST 2009

LuKreme writes:

 > Is there some way to send a test message to a list that is only sent
 > back to me instead of sending it out to the entire distribution?

In a certain pedantic theoretical sense, no: that means that the test
message doesn't follow the same path through the code that other
messages do.  Sort of a Heisenberg principle for mailing list
debugging. :-)  So you need to say what it is you're looking for.

 > Sometimes I want to examine the logs live when a message comes in, but
 > I don't want to keep spamming all the users with "test, pls. ignore"
 > sorts of subjects.

The obvious solution for the front end of the pipeline is to set a
spamtrap for "test, pls. ignore".  That will allow you to look at the
incoming MTA log and maybe some Mailman logs, but of course it will
get held before the distribution part of the pipeline.

I always keep a test list which is configured the same way as the rest
of my lists.  It's open subscription but for some reason nobody but me
ever subscribes. ;-)