[Mailman-Users] Small list for club

Michael MacKenna mpmackenna at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 19:18:31 CEST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sapiro [mailto:mark at msapiro.net]
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 10:37 AM
To: Mike Mackenna; mailman-users at python.org
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Small list for club

Mike Mackenna wrote:

>I am a member of a cigar club that would like to make use of a mailing
>list.  I would like to use mailman for the list.  I hear running your
>own email server can be a headache because of all of the security
>concerns.  Is there a free service available for small clubs to make
>use of the mailman mailing list?

There are free or very low cost services for your situation. See
<http://wiki.list.org/x/Hg>.

>If not can I run a mailman mailing
>list from my home using a broadband connection, dyndns, and a linux
>box, or should I be looking into hosting options?

Dynamic DNS is a problem for a server sending email. Many ISPs will do
a reverse lookup on the sending IP and if it doesn't point back to the
sending domain, will reject the mail.

Fom the above wiki page, <http://www.emwd.com/mailman.html> offer list
hosting starting at $4.00 per month, and they are active on this
mailman-users list which is further evidence that they are offering
real Mailman service.

There may be others that would do as well for you.

Thank you, I will look into those options.

Mike